Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sandpoint

Last month, I tagged along with my husband, Mike to Sandpoint.  He was going there to meet up with some fellow musicians and play music for the day. I decided this was a great opportunity to explore Standpoint's charming downtown area. 

Located about 40 miles north of Post Falls, Sandpoint is situated on the shore of Lake Pend Oreille.  The lake is more than 43 miles long and 6 miles wide with depths of more than 1,200 feet.  I believe that it is the largest and deepest lake in North Idaho.

I spent the day browsing through the many galleries and shops along First Avenue. They showcase many local artists that draw inspiration from the beautiful landscapes and natural resources that are here in North Idaho. 

I purchased a small Dream Catcher made by Mae Stone, a Navajo Indian artist from a shop called Blue Lizard.  Legend has it that bad dreams get caught in the web and the good dreams work their way through the center hole to the sleeping person.  I decided that day to start collecting Dream Catchers...they are so beautiful and there are so many variations.

I enjoyed a tasty panini at the Cedar Street Cafe.  It was interesting to see that they accepted Canadian Dollars.  Of course, Sandpoint is only about 60 miles south of the Canadian border and a vacation destination for many Canadians.

Aside from visiting the shops, I spend the day photographing this quaint town.  Here are a few of the photos.  All in all , it was a great day and Sandpoint is definitely a place that I look forward to visiting again soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment